Please note that class size is very limited on this outing. Register soon to reserve your seat.
April 6 & 7 - Join us for a workshop at this unique national landmark, kept in a state of preserved ruin and full of unusual textures, light, and shapes that invite photographic exploration. Originally opened in 1829, Eastern State Penitentiary became one of the most expensive and most copied buildings in the young United States. Some of America's most notorious criminals were held in the Penitentiary's vaulted, sky-lit cells. Completely abandoned in 1971, it now stands, a lost world of crumbling cellblocks and empty guard towers.
Your expedition includes:
- Classroom seminar at Dan’s
- One hour of exclusive access to designated areas of the prison before it opens to the general public.
- Time to shoot in the public areas
- Round trip transportation on chartered bus to and from Dan’s store, plus snacks on the bus on the way back to Dan’s.
|4/6 class||5:00pm – 7:00pm||Dan's Camera City, Allentown|
|4/7 outing||7:00am - 3:00pm||Eastern State Penitentiary|
To help prepare you for the photo shoot, our classroom seminar will cover practical and creative photo tips to help you get great pictures in this unusual setting. We'll cover topics like High Dynamic Range (HDR) & architectural photography, portable lighting solutions, and lots more.
During our visit to the Penitentiary, we'll have exclusive access for our students to the entire prison before they open to the public. Dan’s instructors will be available for hands-on instruction. Then you'll have free time to explore and take pictures throughout the day. Dan's instructors will be available all day to provide guidance and immediate feedback on your photos.
Agenda for our outing:
- 7:10am – Bus leaves Dan’s Camera City
- 9:00 to 10:00 – exclusive access to the entire prison with hands-on instruction
- 10:00 to 1:00 – Open shooting in public areas
- 1:15pm – Bus Departs for Dan’s Camera City
- Wide angle lenses - most shots require wide field of view.
- Flash – wireless if possible
- Flash gels
- Polarizer for outdoor images
This Expedition is open to users of any camera. The class at Dan’s will cover general camera settings, and our experts will gladly assist you in locating the specific settings on your camera after the class and on location.